Thursday, October 22, 2015

New Background: Rustic Adventurer (D&D 5e)

You come from among the simple folk of the world for most of your life, and are one of them. Perhaps you dream of being more, becoming a folk hero of legend or even rising to greater rank. Whatever the reason you left home, you've already had to learn new skills to survive and face the world. Have you refined the knowledge learned among your daily chores, discovered that the lessons your elders taught in the evenings had hidden meanings that are now starting to be clear, or did you have a chance encounter that gave you a mentor who taught you the new skills you'll need to survive a life of adventure? However grand or simple your dreams may be, you always remember you have feet of clay.



Skill Proficiency: Athletics, Nature
Tools: Vehicle (Land), one type of artisans' tools
Equipment: One set of artisans' tools, a knife, a letter or token from a family member, common clothes, and a belt pouch with 5gp.

Reason for Leaving

  1. My village has a tradition that youngsters have to travel before they're considered adults.
  2. I always wanted to escape my small life and see the world
  3. I've always lived in the shadow of my older peers, I'd never get to prove my worth if I stay.
  4. There was a huge scandal and the elders suggested I leave.
  5. My village has been enslaved and I need to find friends who can come back with me to help free them
  6. My village was destroyed by a natural disaster.


Feature: Salt of the Earth
You're used to long days of hard and often disgusting toil. In small villages and farms, people have no choice but to learn many skills and how to get a lot done in a day. Your willingness to work means you can find odd jobs from someone just about anywhere and, whether they pay coin or simply room and board, you can earn at least a poor standard of living in your spare time. If you dedicate your time to working to cover your living expenses you can maintain a comfortable lifestyle

Suggested Characteristics
However far a rustic adventurer may go, they will remain rooted in the traditions and ideals of their community.

Personality Traits
  1. I get mad at people who use fancy words because they make me feel dumb.
  2. I am easily distracted or confused by the new and wonderous things I encounter.
  3. I believe there should be a simple solution to every problem, even if there's not.
  4. I'm not accustomed to people hinting at things, you either talk about something or you don't.
  5. I'm trustworthy, so I assume those I meet will be.
  6. I grew up with my livelihood tied to nature, so I'm uncomfortable when I don't see the sun and stars often.
  7. I'm used to getting by through hard labor and community, so large amounts of money don't mean much to me.
  8. I sometimes wonder if this was the right path and miss my home.

Ideal

  1. Greater Good. If everyone shares in the hard work everyone benefits. (Good)
  2. Live and Let Live. Meddling in the affairs of others only causes trouble. (Neutral)
  3. Greed. Somewhere out there I can earn the fame and fortune to be whatever I want. (Evil)
  4. Honor. I don't have much, but I have my word. (Lawful)
  5. No Limits. Every hilltop shows a distant horizon, nothing should stop people from striving for them. (Chaotic)
  6. Aspiration. I work hard and give my best at whatever I do.


Bond
  1. I left my village a simple farmer, but I met a traveler who taught me the how to use what I knew as fundamentals for adventuring.
  2. I'm looking for my true love, I know they're out there if I try hard enough to find them.
  3. There's a legendary hero/place I would do anything to see.
  4. Someday I have to get home to those I left behind.
  5. Those I've faced adversity with have my undying loyalty.
  6. My first encounter outside of my village robbed me and took something I value more than anything else in the world.


~~*~~
I like the Folk Hero background, but it's a very singular vision of a huge population of the gaming world and an archetype that's prolific across the spectrum of fantasy. Similarly, while everyone expects their character to end up having an earth shaking destiny if they (and the campaign) live long enough, the Folk Hero has a level of genre savvy baked into it that I'm not entirely comfortable with. As a result, I decided I'd like to see a little more variety in my "humble beginnings." There's nothing powerful or rare in the mechanics. Really, the difference between this background and the Folk Hero is the difference between a Rancher (Folk Hero) and a Farmer. In a game where this background is available I'd probably substitute the Folk Hero's artisans' tools for a musical instrument to enhance that distinction. I thought about doing so with this background, but I feel the artisans' tools fits the more sedentary background better.
I like the two backgrounds together, because they make each other stronger. Using the Farm Hand mechanics with the Folk Hero Characteristics and Defining Event or visa versa makes a broader range of characters for this very common archetype.

No comments:

Post a Comment